Jogging will not get you a great body – here’s why…
Want a great body? Then jogging is not the answer…
I thought jogging was good exercise?
It is! But jogging alone will not get you the lean and toned figure that most people want. Jogging is excellent exercise and can help towards losing body fat, getting fitter, lowering blood pressure and a host of other benefits, but if you want to get really fit AND have a great figure, you’ll need to do some other things too.
In the UK, about 90% of people would like to make changes to their body shape.
Please believe me when I say this: I think far too much emphasis is placed on looking fit and healthy, rather than being fit and healthy. So I don’t advocate people being too critical about the way they look. People come in all shapes and sizes and only 2% of the population has the ideal body type and shape portrayed in the media – gorgeous, muscular guys with six packs and beautiful women with tiny waists and long slender legs. That’s not the real world. But if you are looking to lose a few pounds and tone up, and most people are, then here at LemonBody, we know what works – and it’s not just about going for a jog!
Adaptivity, the key to success for your health, fitness AND your figure!
When you exercise, your body responds in predictable ways. Your body “adapts” (and reacts) to the training you do. So when you go jogging and get your heart and lungs working, they get stronger and more efficient and jogging becomes easier the more you do it. This is adaptivity. But rather than just jog, try sprinting. Working really hard in short bursts is much more effective.
When you lift heavy weights, your muscles become more toned and much stronger. This is adaptivity again. But the weights MUST be HEAVY! Do NOT be afraid of heavy weights!
To get fit and healthy, you need to follow a training regime that targets all elements and not just one. This is why jogging on it’s own is not the right thing to do if you want to get fit and look great too.
So what should you be doing to get fit and look great?
A combination of things:
- Warm up thoroughly
- Increase your heart rate with moderate to vigorous exercise – in short bursts of activity twice a week
- Work ALL of your muscles HARD until you feel the “burn” or “pump” twice a week
- Cooldown and stretch at the end of your Workout
- Eat natural, fresh food with lots of vegetables and fruit and lots of lean protein – avoid anything processed and keep away from too much sugary stuff (tricky in this day and age!)
Try doing the routine below for just 4 weeks and see what a huge difference it makes!
Always warm up thoroughly and stretch after your Workout!
To shed body fat and get really fit quick – do this:
Hill Sprints: Find a hill. Run up it for 20-30 seconds. Now walk down again, catching your breath. Repeat this 10 times and try to go as fast as you can uphill. Take your time on the way down to recover. When you’re done, go for a gentle 5 minute jog to finish off.
To tone muscle and tighten your tummy, arms, butt and thighs – do this:
Resistance Training: (I wrote a BLOG article on this and you can find it here). You must work your muscles HARD. As soon as it gets easy, it stops working, so make it difficult! You can add weight or repetitions to get the “burn.” If your muscles aren’t burning, they’re not toning! Try these exercises – do 12 repetitions and repeat 3 times, alternating between the 2 exercises with no rest. E.g. 12 Press Ups, followed by 12 Bicep Curls. Repeat. Repeat again.
- Squats and Calf Raises
- Lunges and Calf Raises
- Wide Sumo Squat (all the way down, halfway up) and Hip Lifts (hold for 45 seconds and SQUEEZE those buns!)
- Press Ups and Bicep Curls
- Overhead Press and Bent Over Rows
- Tricep Dips and Hammer Curls
- Crunches and Superman (Superman slowly with pauses, 45 seconds)
- Crunch with Side Punch and Superman as above
- Leg scissors and plank (hold for 30 seconds)
- Side plank, alternate sides and hold for 30 seconds
- Monday – Hill Sprints x 10
- Tuesday – Resistance Training
- Wednesday – Rest/Stretching/Yoga
- Thursday – Hill Sprints x 12
- Friday – Resistance Training
- Saturday – Rest
- Sunday – Relaxing Sunday walk somewhere peaceful and beautiful
Week Two, Three, Four:
- Hill Sprints as above but add 2 more Hill Sprints each session (14, 16, 18, 20, 22, 24).
- Resistance Training as above but add MORE resistance (or reps, or both) in each successive session.
Of course, we do this sort of thing at BootCamp all the time, which is why our Members are so fit – and they really are too! So come along and have your Free Trial if you’re not already a Member. It’s a lot of fun and you’ll start seeing benefits straight away!
If you need more advice about this or any other health and fitness topic, please get in touch. We’re here to help!
For more BLOG Articles, click here.
Not had your Free Trial Workout with us yet? What are you waiting for?